Hello my friends, and welcome to this week’s Prayers for the Week post! Today we were out shopping for some clothes for Sophie, and we ran into Cindy’s former co-worker, whose husband we prayed over after he contracted ALS. It’s been almost a year since he passed away, and it was a joy to see Janice and her mom. After catching up a bit, we talked about the memories — memories of our family, our friends, those we love, whether they are here now or not, and we celebrated the time that Janice and her husband had together. In short, we rejoiced.
It’s been a while since we did a lot of rejoicing — most of the time, we spend a lot of time praying for those things that we need, but far too little time spent rejoicing all that God has given to us. Today, I aim to change that. Of course, we have some prayer requests, just like we normally do, but at the end of each request we are going to give at least one praise that goes along with that request. As always, I invite you to pray along, and to add your prayer requests at the bottom in the comments, or email them to email@example.com and we’ll add them for you, and pray over them. Thank you for praying with us as we spend some time celebrating the Lord!
Prayer Requests and Praises!
“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice!” ~ Philippians 4:4 (ESV)
- Reader Julie has a prayer request. Here is what she wrote on Facebook:You are a true blessing in a seemingly dark world! My request is for my husband, who will be preaching for the first time in about a decade. Thank you for being salt!And my reply:Thank you Julie! I will gladly pray for your husband — for his courage, for his nerves, but most of all, that God would use his mouth and his mind to speak the words that God wants him to say. I have no doubts that your husband will do great things for the Lord!Our praise with Julie’s request is this: After a decade, a man of God is back in the pulpit, helping to spread the Word of God to all of us! Thank you God for leading him on this path!
- My cousin Michelle wrote this prayer request on Facebook:A friend of a friends 13 yo boy is lost in the mountains, it has started snowing, I can only imagine what his mom is going through. He has survival training, praying The Lord keeps him safe and he is found quickly!Please pray for his safe return!
The Praise for this request is that he was found and has been reunited with his family! Praise God!
- Please pray for my friends Mike and Jane. Mike lost his father today, here is what Jane wrote on Facebook:I feel that the VA hospital in Durham represented “home” to Mike’s dad.
He left his home in coal country Pennsylvania at the tender age of 17 to join the Army and the Army became his “family”. He went “home” last week and died peacefully early this morning. RIP Michael G. Oniffrey, Sr. – your battle is over.Please pray for God’s Peace, Comfort, and Strength to descend upon Mike, Jane, and their family in their time of grief. Thank you everyone!As sad as it is to lose those we love, what Mike and Jane have is their memories of Mike’s dad, which is a big thing if you ask me. Additionally, Mike’s dad went like I think we all would like to go — peacefully, and without struggle. That’s a huge praise!
- My friend Terri needs prayers for her daughter Jane. Here is what she wrote on Facebook:Tomorrow morning, Jane will be having surgery at Children’s Hospital. Both of her eyes will be operated on – she’s been diagnosed with Dissociated Vertical Deviation. We’d appreciate your prayers! Thanks.Please pray with me:Healing God, we ask for Your Hands to guide the hands of Jane’s medical team tomorrow when she has her eyes operated on. Father, please be with her, allow Your Peace, Comfort, and Strength to descend upon Jane, her team of doctors and nurses, and her family and friends as they struggle to keep fear and doubt out of their minds. Grant them a measure of Faith strong enough to endure all that Jane goes through tomorrow, Faith in knowing that all will be well. Heavenly Father, we have seen evidence of Your Miracles on our fallen world — just take a look at the story of Baby Ryan, now over a year old, and able to come home, as proof of Your work in our lives. Lord, we know with You all things are possible, and we pray that Your Will would be for a successful operation and easy recovery for Jane, so that Your Glory may be displayed yet again for all the world to see. We ask these things in the wonderful name of Your Son Jesus. Amen.
Thank you for praying for Jane!
Jane’s surgery was on Friday, and was a huge success! Give praise to God for all of Jane’s medical team, for all that they did for her, and for her recovery, which has so far been great! Thank you everyone!
- Please continue to pray for Dee’s father-in-law Jim. Things don’t look good for Jim at all, but despite that, and the fear, worry, and stress that they are all going through, despite all of that, the praise is that every day they have is one more day than they had the day before. Please pray for all of them, for healing, for Peace, for Comfort, for Strength, for all of the things we normally pray for. But additionally, pray that they would appreciate each and every day they have with one another, that they would love one another, not let the stress get in the way of that love, and that they would follow God’s direction and let His Will be their guide.
Thank you for praying with us, my friends. Now, please pray the prayer that Jesus taught his Disciples to pray:
Our Father, who art in Heaven,
Hallowed by thy name.
Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done,
On earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the Kingdom, and the Power, and the Glory forever and ever.