Welcome to this month’s Blogorail Orange Loop. Today we are sharing some of our favorite architectural details at the Disney Parks.
Hello everyone, and welcome to this month’s Magical Blogorail Orange Loop! Today we are taking a look at some of the incredible architectural details that you can find at Walt Disney World and the rest of the Disney Parks! For me, I’m focusing on one of my absolute favorite attractions at Epcot (or any Disney Park, for that matter) — Spaceship Earth!
From a technology perspective, Spaceship Earth combines some incredibly cool — I would almost say geeky — stats as well as some technology from yesteryear. Let’s dive into them just a little bit, shall we?
- Spaceship Earth is 180 feet tall, and weighs in at about 16 million pounds!
- The skin of Spaceship Earth is made up of 11,324 aluminum and plastic-alloy triangles!
- Did you know that the water from rain that lands on Spaceship Earth never falls to the pavement below? There is a special system in place that takes the water and drains it into World Showcase Lagoon!
- Spaceship Earth has a diameter of 165 feet, a circumference of 518.1 feet, and a volume of 2.35 million cubic feet!
- As part of the attraction, though, did you know that Spaceship Earth incorporates an old 1A2 key system phone into one of it’s props? Now that’s old school!
For me, though, more than the numbers, more than the technology, more than the incredible photo opportunities, what I really like about Spaceship Earth is the attraction, the ride itself. Somehow, knowing that you are climbing into the belly of the “big golf ball” and heading all the way to the top is just really cool to me. Reliving all of the exploration of how communication has adapted over time is really neat, and the sites, smells, sounds of it all just bring you there as if you are experiencing it firsthand. That’s why I like Spaceship Earth so much. Man, I miss this attraction!
I hope you have enjoyed our look at Spaceship Earth! Tell me, what do you think of this attraction? Please let me know in the comments, and thanks for stopping by! Now go check out the rest of the loop — we’ve got some great posts for you to read!
check out the other great posts from the Blogorail!
Here is the map of our Magical Blogorail Orange | Dealing with Problems at Disney Loop:
- 1st Stop – My Dreams of Disney | Spaceship Earth
- 2nd Stop – Disney Mamas | Main Street, USA
- 3rd Stop – Heidi’s Head | Tree of Life
- 4th Stop – Capturing Magical Memories | Hollywood Studios – Tower of Terror